Being Seven, and living with Type 1 Diabetes

Being Seven, and living with Type 1 Diabetes

Meet my daughter.

She is seven and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes on Halloween 2012. Like many kids with this incurable condition she is pretty amazing.  After nine months of living with diabetes, she considers herself an expert but happily ranks me as novice in comparison.  She wants to help kids who have just been diagnosed, I think she will do a sterling job.

Molly’s hints and tips for any kids who have just found out they are Type 1.

I promise you will feel better when you get out of hospital, this is not the end of the world.  I felt so much better when I was home and not wetting the bed anymore, or going to the toilet all the time.

To the parents, it will be easier when you get used to it.

The first few days are hard as the injections hurt a little bit, but then when you get used to it it will be fine.

Hypos are caused by too much insulin. Hypos get worse the longer they go on, but you get to eat sweets to bring you up. I had a bad hypo the other day and had to have 25 sweets to bring me up.  Mummy phoned up to help me as I was with my babysitter, then it all got sorted and it was fine.

Hyper is something what is not very nice, it is when your blood sugars are high and not low.  It feels not very nice, like hypos, but if you work really hard at counting your carbs you can avoid hypers and hypos most of the time.

When I found I had diabetes it was terrible but now it is just part of me and not a big deal, it is just an injection.  To anyone reading this in hospital, I hope you feel better soon.

Hopefully this video will show you how injections can just become part of life, like brushing your teeth every morning and night.

Share:

16 Comments

1. Eleanor
    August 7, 2013 / 10:19 pm

What a clever girl! Well done! My husband is a bit older, he’s 38 and has been diabetic since he was 2 years old. You are absolutely right, just do your best to count your carbs and inject the right number of units. 25 sweets is quite a lot, better that you feel well than have to eat that number again!
    Best wishes, Eleanor

2. Kerry
    August 7, 2013 / 10:43 pm

Really great work ! thanks for sharing Molly. Fingers crossed my Libby will feel this way about her diabetes soon as at the moment 4 months in she is very upset that she has to have injections and doesn’t like doing her finger prick tests ever.

3. August 8, 2013 / 7:12 am

What an amazing girl! Well done Molly. This will be a fantastic help for other children and families in your situation. Just brilliant x

4. August 8, 2013 / 8:14 am

Molly! You are an amazing little girl. What an inspiration you are!

Thank you for sharing your advice to other children. I’m sure you’ve helped so many who are worried and a little scared feel so much better. It’s much nicer hearing how it really feels from another child rather than a grown up.

Molly – you rock!

5. August 8, 2013 / 9:09 am

What an amazing little girl! Fantastic how she’s taking it all in her stride; and not only that but helping others too 🙂

6. Louise @craftyguider
    August 8, 2013 / 3:49 pm

Molly is amazing. She’s got a horrible illness and she wants to help others. I’m sure other children who are newly diagnosed will find her video really helpful.

7. August 8, 2013 / 4:43 pm

What an amazing girl you have! but then I’m sure you’re already well aware of that : )

8. Mums do travel
    August 8, 2013 / 7:45 pm

Molly, thank you for explaining this so clearly. I think you’re a fabulous girl and am really pleased that you’re managing so well.

9. August 8, 2013 / 7:52 pm

Well done Molly, a great post well thought out and helpful to anyone else who suffers from the same as you. Clio and Guy have started writing on my blog too, it’s lovely to read a young person’s perspective, I hope you will continue.

10. August 11, 2013 / 8:20 am

Wow! You have the bravest little girl I have ever seen.I am sure she will do a hell of a job helping others! All the best!

11. August 11, 2013 / 10:50 am

What a really inspirational little girl – you must be so proud, and what well thought out points.

12. September 26, 2013 / 12:35 pm

Fantastic video Molly. Thanks so much for sharing this with us, it was really helpful to watch it.

13. October 4, 2013 / 12:59 pm