Today’s post is by James Christie writes for Yellow Moon arts and crafts company. Check out Yellow Moon’s fantastic range of greeting card craft.
My favourite two points are 19 and 24 – so typical of my kids!
There are so many things that we do as children that we never do again as adults. Sometimes it is a good job that we don’t take our childish habits into our adult lives; after all as children we should learn what the boundaries of acceptable behaviour are.
However, sometimes it is sad to think that we lose some of our child-like wonder at the way the world works.
Here is a list of some things that we do as a child which most of us will never do in our adult life.
1. Bang the kitchen table with a spoon when you’re hungry.
2. Touch a nettle just to see what happens.
3. Pray for snow – not so that you can take a day off work but just because you love to see how snowflakes coat the world around you.
4. Spend Monday mornings writing an account of what you did at the weekend before standing up in front of people and reading the account out-loud.
5. Read the same story over and over again, every evening before going to sleep.
6. Team a pair of shorts with a shirt and tie (if you’re a boy) when the summer arrives.
7. Draw colourful pictures of members of your family which look nothing like members of your family and pin them to the fridge door.
8. Open a new cereal box and tip the contents on the floor so you can quickly find the free toy which comes with it.
9. Knock on the front door of your next-door neighbour and ask for your ball back.
10. Refuse to eat something prepared by your Mum just so you can exercise an element of control.
11. Use the sofa as a trampoline.
12. Excitedly open birthday and Christmas presents before you open the card which comes with it.
13. Start skipping down the street for no apparent reason.
14. Start crying because it’s bath time.
15. Make a daily list of your favourite friends in the whole wide world and show it to everyone.
16. Pull the ears of a dog which doesn’t belong to you.
17. Get annoyed when someone older than you tells you it’s time for bed.
18. Give away the contents of your packed lunch to someone who needs cheering up.
19. Demand to go on a roller-coaster ride then try to get off when the roller coaster ride begins.
20. Write to Santa Claus and expect a reply.
21. Refer to days and nights as ‘sleeps’. For instance, “my birthday is five sleeps away”.
22. Go on holiday abroad and believe that your house is just a five-minute walk around the corner.
23. Stick your thumb in your mouth when someone asks you a difficult question.
24. Make a birthday card instead of buying one from a shop.
25. Clap your hands with joy when seeing something – a pretty butterfly, a nice cake, a super sunset – which an adult just takes for granted.